Importing a Bike: What Do I Need To Know?

Apparently there is life outside of bikes! So chat about it here.

Moderators: bigkuri, Wilso, Alon

WornSprocket

Importing a Bike: What Do I Need To Know?

Post by WornSprocket » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:29 am

Hi, in my quest to buy a 950SE there is a strong possibility I will end up buying abroad and importing to the UK. Reading other forums it looks like this has been done before (one Mr Beer)

So any advice, feedback, suggestions and/or a how-to-do-it guide gratefully received, particularly if I buy privately in the EU with no VAT receipt to prove VAT already paid.

Thanks.

Victorh

Re: Importing a Bike: What Do I Need To Know?

Post by Victorh » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:09 am

Doing the same from South Africa to New Zealand....
Hard part is just getting the bike crated.....I could do it so easy and quick....but I am here. Got a dealer who seems to be helping.
Paper work required all online here so easy. Just to pay GST and have it registered......4 to 5 weeks and I shall be smiling.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Second chance SE owner down under :D :D :D

Beer

Post by Beer » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:13 am

hello mister knackered sprockets,

the one i bought last year was a UK registered bike when new, so dead easy on that one I just had fill out a HMRC declaration of import (they then confirm to the DVLA that there is no tax (VAT) due on the bike as it was paid on it when it was new.

I thn sent to the DVLA a V62/2 form and got it MOT'd then taxed.

if within the EU, you will have to pay import tax (VAT at 20% if it wasn't first a UK bike...the info and helpliine numbers are on the DVLA and HMRC websites...

here you go mate:

HMRC website link

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-i ... k/overview

good luck with finding one and hope it's a smooth process you will need to allow a month or so before your actulay able to ride the bike on the road...

oh and when you pay the seller do a bank transfer when you are there in UK pounds if possible (saves the banks getting a cut on the exchange rate) if you don't trust your bank to tranfser fhe money then you will have to take Euros (online exchange Co offer better rates (make sure obviously it's a legit Company first)

this ones good

http://www.xe.com/company/

the other important thing to consider is your personal safety - so be carefull taking a wad of cash to the middle of nowhere - you can usually tell if the seller is legit by asking a few focussed questions that only a proper owner would know - and always call them first before you leave ideally on a landline, maybe put a small deposit down as you will be forking out time and money in getting the bike so you don't want to turn up in the afternoon to find out he sold it in the morning ;)

good luck

Beer

Post by Beer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:59 am

minter 8-) ..probably fetch £7.5 to 8k

Beer

Post by Beer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:14 pm

that one on Ebay link above sold in 2 days

Wilso

Post by Wilso » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:17 pm

By the very man that started this thread. Well done that man, welcome to the lunacy.