New guy, new bike, new country

Introduce yourself and your Finest here

Moderators: bigkuri, Wilso, Alon

MultiDoc

New guy, new bike, new country

Post by MultiDoc » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:53 pm

Hello everyone,

Registered a few days ago and have spent weeks reading, searching and learning as much as I can about the SE. A quick resume about myself.
I have wanted an SE for quite some time now, I have very little off road experience but have been taken out on the hardest type of enduro by some loonatic friends of mine on a borrowed 250 two stroke KTM in the past (can't count how many times I hit the ground :lol: ).
Myself I'm a road racing guy, have been doing loads of track days and quite a few races, plus some endurance racing too with my Ducati 999 and in general I'm crazy about motorcycles (not Harleys though or any of that kind), Hopefully all works out and in the next couple of weeks I'll be owing a 950SE at last. I plan on using it as a "do everything bike", from touring, commuting, off road etc.
I also very recently moved in the UK (from Greece) and currently live in Kent.
Anyway, just a quick post to introduce myself and any advise about the SE will be much appreciated, and hopefully soon I'll be asking around for people to ride with and other practical stuff (where to service etc).

Thanks again for having me here.

Regards,

Nikos

P.S: I already how some questions to ask that more knowledgable people and SE owners would be able to guide me/direct me, where should I be posting them ?
KTM 950 SE
Ducati 999rsr

Wilso

Re: New guy, new bike, new country

Post by Wilso » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:06 pm

Welcome nikos to both the forum and the U.K.! Beer on here lives in Kent and rides the green lanes round there you're also not far from Surrey where we ride occasionally. It's a great do everything bike.

Ask away anything you have and post pictures of the bike when you are sorted. I'm not too worried where you post were a small open forum.

MultiDoc

Post by MultiDoc » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:22 am

Thanks for the welcome.

Well I've got a few things I'll be needing help with. Guess it's ok for me to post/ask here (feel free to move the post if it should be somewhere else).

1. Insurance for the bike: any advice and additional info and links to companies ? Anyone has any suggestions ? What to look for or be careful about ? I have a license for more than 20 years now and no claims, but as you can guess it's a Greek one so don't know if it makes a difference or not. Also how about theft insurance ? Is it sensible to get ?

2. Garage rent: is it possible to rent a closed garage around here ? (Margate) anywhere I could look or ask ? Any ideas about costs ? Or other alternatives for parking the bike safely ?

3. From what I have seen so far the insurance companies over here are a bit picky in regards to bike locks, any suggestions which ones I should buy so it's both good for the bike but also makes the insurance happy too ?

4. Does it make sense to install a cut off switch ? I've seen one being offered by a fellow member in the KTM UK forum, any advise on this for the SE ?

5. I'll be needing guidance and advice on local shops for servicing etc, any good and respectable KTM mechanics/shops you would suggest ? Also any specific shops you could point me to for getting spare parts, tyres etc.

6. I'll also be in the market to buy some gear, pretty much everything really, since all the gear I have now is either track only or leathers, so it's pretty much useless for the SE. So advice, links, directions as always will be much appreciTed.

Sorry for the huge pile of questions (loads more coming but don't want to be banned for breaking some rule of loooooong posts that I'm not aware of :) ) but I'm eager to get things sorted as best as I can; and having just moved here I'm pretty much clueless.

Thanks in advance for anyone taking time to reply, any help will be greatly appreciated.

And certainly looking forward to some ride out as soon as I get the bike. By the way my best friend will be soon visiting me in about 3 weeks and he has an SE too, would be great if we could meet some of you guys.

Regards,

Nikos
KTM 950 SE
Ducati 999rsr

michaelmy

Post by michaelmy » Fri May 13, 2016 11:34 am

Hi Nikos
May see you on Saturday with Warrick (BigKuri)

Best security chains are Almax
Can be secured to the bike with a locking pin & washer through the frame from Pragmasis who will give you good security advice
I am wary of having a garage not at the place where i live
Best clothing off road is Klim
Sorry don't know anything about Margate parking
Insurance is quite personal, do they offer multi bike, etc, is it garaged, etc
KTM parts are available all over - Zen Overland does many accessory parts, as do Adventure Spec
I send mine for service to BigKuri who does all of his own or to ET Scooters in Chelsea, who have just done my HP2E clutch

I owned an SE, but sold it (it is now owned by Mike Beddows so is in ABR looking a bit rat like) & regret it, so I am buying another right now

bigkuri

Post by bigkuri » Fri May 13, 2016 10:06 pm

An Erzberg no less. Number 47....

Jealous :)
2008 SE 950 R - now gone :'(
1190R
XR650R

MultiDoc

Post by MultiDoc » Fri May 13, 2016 10:54 pm

Thanks for the info Michael,

I'll try to make it on time and meet you guys tomorrow evening (Warrick please text me if you don't mind when you guys will get there).
As a general update, I have moved to London since last week, new job here, I'm picking the bike up tomorrow (excited as hell) and received a nice package from parcel force today... Chain, padlock, anchor and pin. Will be installing it probably next weekend.
I'm sure I'll have a gazillion of questions and will need advise on the bike etc. so bear with me and my noob questions in the near future.
Oh I also got a klim jacket (now looking for pants and boots), gloves and helmet sorted.

Anyway, hope we'll meet up,tomorrow guys and I'd be more than happy to put a face on the names.

Cheers,

Nikos
KTM 950 SE
Ducati 999rsr

Wilso

Post by Wilso » Sat May 14, 2016 4:02 pm

Michael see post in for sale beer's mate selling his.

Where in London are you nikos? Where's this meet up then!

bigkuri

Post by bigkuri » Sun May 15, 2016 3:03 pm

Wilso wrote:Michael see post in for sale beer's mate selling his.

Jez, Michael just bought an Erzberg.... #47...

London, lets meet at the White Horse in Parsons Green. What day? Maybe email me :)
2008 SE 950 R - now gone :'(
1190R
XR650R

michaelmy

Post by michaelmy » Sun May 15, 2016 5:45 pm

I have not collected the Erzberg yet.. Looking forward to it though. ... And yes i am keeping the HP2 as the perfect pair

Beer

Post by Beer » Mon May 16, 2016 6:08 am

Wilso wrote:Michael see post in for sale beer's mate selling his.

that one's sold to another mate of mine...soon i will know everyone in the UK with an SE :D

Nikos,
looking forward to riding with you in Kent, keep an eye on the WW8 thread in the KTM Forum.co.uk Adventure section - it's in two weeks time, i can probably get you in if you fancy coming...

if not then just bring the beast down to Kent and i will take you on some steady lanes to get you up to speed....

got brands BSB on next weekend, but may be abole to fit an evening session in this week or next....