More bikes than sense

Introduce yourself and your Finest here

Moderators: bigkuri, Wilso, Alon

PC73

More bikes than sense

Post by PC73 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:41 pm

Hello from Satans Bottom (aka Phoenix, Arizona).

I've not to recently returned from a great bucket list trip with wifey: Phoenix-Baja-Cabo-Baja-Phoenix with me astride my '12 Tiger 800XC and wifey on her '14 G650GS.
The trip was absolutely TITS as you can imagine...ill get 'round to all the video footage someday and post a RR.

This said, the Tiger rolled over 50kmiles at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff,AZ a week or two earlier and despite being old faithful, I know I've been lucky with this big girl and it feels like it's only a matter of time before gremlins start.
The Tigers been cross country (Arizona-Florida) and to Deadhorse AK and back and has served me well on countless day trips on and off the beaten path.
So I used this as an excuse to look into what would replace her.

The KTM demo truck was at the expo and I had the opportunity to test ride the 1190. What a beast. I was ushered into a single file ride with the bike setup in "gimp" mode so no newbie would kill themselves and while riding a new bike and the thought of buying it gave me a tent in my trousers...something about its looks just didn't quite grab me and I started looking around at what others had done to mod it.

Looking constantly at ADV riders garage ads I stumbled across the 950SE. Previously is seen the Beemer (hp2 Enduro) equivalent at rallies and thought it was an animal. When I clapped eyes on the 950SE I knew I wanted one...now!

All ads for sale were scarce and upon reading is learnt this things a bloody unicorn...then out of the blue a very well taken care of, but high mileage one came up...and for 7k USD! Called the bloke instantly and we chatted about it and I arranged a visit for the weekend.
Went to the bank and got the monies sorted so if she was truly the droid is been looking for I could splash out then and there.
Wifey was great as usual and seemed to lie the idea of the bike as it would retain its resale value as compared to a 16k out the door 1190 purchase.

So, long story short, saw it, loved it, bought it, now my face hurts :)

There's little room in the stable currently with my Tiger800XC, KTM500EXC. KTM250XCW and my wife's beemer and Honda230crf but we made a spot.

She's fully loaded with Renazco seat, Woody's lSuperlaced Wheels, Baja headlamp, Scott's dampener, Safari 8 gallon tank, FMF two into 1 pipe and setup and extra wide foot pegs and the PO had also done away with the entire key ignition system and replaced with a simple dark switch. There's a whole box of all origin parts if I ever wanted to covert to stock too.

I've only had the one blat on this pig so far and have commutes to the office a coupe of times but I can't wait to ride the living sh*t out of it!!!

The PO was adamant that if I ever wanted to sell it that I call him and give him 1st refusal...you lot that owned these beasts and later sell them are a strange lot..mad I say, just mad! ;)

I can't envision selling this...ever :)

Cheers ~ PeterImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MultiDoc

Re: More bikes than sense

Post by MultiDoc » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:49 pm

Congrats on the bike, seems a very well sorted one. Take care of her and she'll put a smile on your face that will require surgery to remove :mrgreen:
KTM 950 SE
Ducati 999rsr

PC73

Post by PC73 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:11 pm

Cheers MultiDic. Your last comment is somewhat ironic as I'm recovering as we speak at home from a dramatic "off" from my 500exc at the track. Spinal fractures and a broken collarbone!
At least it gave me time to disc er this forum and the above photos were taken before this crash and not caused by the 950SE ;)

Wilso

Post by Wilso » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:55 pm

Great write up and intro, as said well specked bike, true Baja racer, it's a great look for the SE.

Any chance of some close ups of the wheels. At least I know woody does them for the SE would be good to know your thoughts.

Welcome to the other side of madness ;)

MultiDoc

Post by MultiDoc » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:34 pm

PC73 wrote:Cheers MultiDic. Your last comment is somewhat ironic as I'm recovering as we speak at home from a dramatic "off" from my 500exc at the track. Spinal fractures and a broken collarbone!
At least it gave me time to disc er this forum and the above photos were taken before this crash and not caused by the 950SE ;)

Sorry to hear about your injury Peter, wish a fast and complete recovery !

As Wilso said, post some pics of your bike when you can, mods, wheels etc. I can't have enough of drooling on SE's although I own one too (I admit I have a thing for my bikes, I catch myself having coffee in the garage with them lol)
KTM 950 SE
Ducati 999rsr

PC73

Post by PC73 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:38 am

Will grab some photos this weekend when I venture back out to the garage. Thanks for the well wishes :)

Beer

Post by Beer » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:18 pm

Great write up and a great looking bike...looking forward to hearing about tales of adventures in far away lands

cheers