new owner!

Introduce yourself and your Finest here

Moderators: bigkuri, Wilso, Alon

WornSprocket

Re: new owner!

Post by WornSprocket » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:54 pm

Wilso wrote:Its not real without picutres, just some crazy fantasy :lol: 8-)
I've seen the photos. Trust me, it's real.

When he said "less than 200 miles" what he actually meant was 118. It still has the original KTM chain wax on it from delivery. When he told me I was almost speechless.

This is one of those once-in-a-lifetime bikes.

Wilso

Post by Wilso » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:57 pm

Then the love should certainly be shared here to remind us what a new one looked like :roll: :lol:

shipdamite

Post by shipdamite » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:10 pm

I can txt you pictures Jez .....

edit - see below!
Last edited by shipdamite on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shipdamite

Post by shipdamite » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:19 pm

IMG_0177.jpg

shipdamite

Post by shipdamite » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:27 pm

501709515.jpg

Wilso

Post by Wilso » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:10 pm

Stunning! You going to ride it or mothball it? Both are excellent choices..

So what are you doing changing all fluids? 8 year old Magura blood, fork oil, brake fluid probably needs a refresh.

shipdamite

Post by shipdamite » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:54 am

I am going to ride it, but dry road use only .... with sumo wheels purchased from W.S - I have a 300 exc for offroad duties.

Given the condition of this, I cant subject it to offroad use!

The bike has just had all of the fluids doing, although I intend to run it for 1/2 hour, then change the oil - I will probably do this a couple of times, get it up to 600 miles, then check valves and change oil again. This might sound excessive to some, but its cheap insurance.

Charlies side stand relocator ordered, as is an oberon with mounting plate.

other than that, it will remain stock

cheers.

WornSprocket

Post by WornSprocket » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:51 am

Other things to consider, aside from the side stand relocator & Oberon:

1. A DrBean fuel pump modification. Looks exactly the same from the outside but replaces the mechanical points with an electronic equivalent that doesn't go wrong and let you down and the most inconvenient moment.

2. This is more important - when you redo the valve clearances seriously consider a complete cooling system flush. Some of the 950 motors had the remains of casting sand in the passages. If yours is like this it is unlikely to have been removed, given the low mileage. A good flush (check out the KTM950 Hall of Wisdom) will potentially save you lots of heartache later when the waterpump shaft and seal start leaking.

Wilso

Post by Wilso » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:43 pm

Oil changes sound good but I would not touch the clearances unless you suspect something. Highly unlikely to be out check every 8k.

Just follow the wearing in pattern.

Not sure dr bean is needed if not being used off road. 8k on mine no worries part of clean is checking fuel points.

Enjoy!

shipdamite

Post by shipdamite » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:35 pm

Thank you both for the advice.

All of the fluids have been changed and the expansion bottle is clean with no signs of sand deposits (phew)

I remember that the points on my 950 sm pump failed at about 12,000 miles, so I hope that the same applies to the 950 se!

I also remember from my 950 sm that the one way valve on the crank breather hose can get sludged up which may cause blocking and subsequent seal failure.

The valve was put there to stop oil being dumped on the air filter, but in my opinion, the location of the valve causes a problem. It is located by the headstock, and is cooled by incoming air just at the point that the exiting fumes are slowed by the valve ... this is where the mayo can form. The valve can either be removed - as I did on my sm - or cleaned out by dunking it in thinners etc. Worth a check when the tank is off.

Some of the sas/epc plumbing has been left in place - although a removal kit has been fitted - so I will have to have a tidy up.

I hope to have time during the week to have a spin.

Cheers

:D