better brake or twin discs

Need Help or got top tips on maintaing the 950 Super Enduro share your knowledge here!

Moderators: bigkuri, Beer, Wilso

loz

better brake or twin discs

Post by loz » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:16 pm

hi,has anyone fitted twin discs or good brake upgrade

loz

Alon

Re: better brake or twin discs

Post by Alon » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:52 pm

I did see a post on another forum where someone took a lower fork leg from an SM that had a radial mount for a four piston brembo caliper and enabled the correct spacing for the larger 320mm front disc. That seems like a viable option that wouldn't add as much unsprung weight as a pair of ADV front discs / calipers / etc. Don't forget that bolting an ADV fork bottom setup with dual brakes also means you'd need to address the difference in axle diameter as the adv uses a larger axle and your current SE hub will not accommodate dual discs. The brake master is also larger on the adv not to mention the complexity of the brake lines if you want to retain a high mounted front fender. Both approaches are doable - it just depends on your personal needs and appetite for spending money and time...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alon
Toronto, Canada but moving to the UK this August
KTM 950 Super Enduro
KTM 530 EXC rally beast

Wilso

Post by Wilso » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:18 am

Not sure this would be worth the effort and expense, just go for a nice wavey disc and some decent pads. All that extra weight and complexity just means more to go wrong and service.

Just curious, why are you wanting to do this?

loz

Post by loz » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:55 pm

same brake as my 690 with double the power and 50kg more,not particularly good on the road mate

loz

Wilso

Post by Wilso » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:55 pm

Ok I see, never presented me an issue, guess I need to speed up :) Actually I need to get the bike an MOT....

SE Rob

Post by SE Rob » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:55 am

How about fitting a complete front end from a late 640A ?

Twin discs, better forks internally and more travel.

Andygbsmith

Post by Andygbsmith » Sat May 13, 2017 11:19 am

If you are still looking to upgrade your front brake, Pretech in reading make 4 and 6 piston callipers. They can make a one off if required but may have something that will bolt straight on.
Excellent service and a great price. I have used them on a couple of bikes, great product.

SE Rob

Post by SE Rob » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Seem to remember a thread on ADVRider where various brackets were being trialled to allow 320mm disc coupled with standard caliper.
Seemed to fizzle out with comments re braking power coming from better calipers, not just a larger disc.

However, 4 piston calipers are fatter and hit the spokes on a 21" wheel apparently.

Has anybody seen a single disc solution for a SE that offers better stopping power?

SE Rob

Post by SE Rob » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Seem to remember a thread on ADVRider where various brackets were being trialled to allow 320mm disc coupled with standard caliper.
Seemed to fizzle out with comments re braking power coming from better calipers, not just a larger disc.

However, 4 piston calipers are fatter and hit the spokes on a 21" wheel apparently.

Has anybody seen a single disc solution for a SE that offers better stopping power?

WornSprocket

Post by WornSprocket » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:25 am

Maybe I ride like a poof, but I've never had a problem stopping. Once you've locked the front wheel there is no more stopping effort available.

The bike was designed for a tyre like a TKC80, MT21 or similar. In my opinion the front brake easily stops one of those rotating with their limited contact patch, more difficult to control the subsequent front wheel slide.