950 shock revalve

Need Help or got top tips on maintaing the 950 Super Enduro share your knowledge here!

Moderators: bigkuri, Wilso, Alon

pineman

950 shock revalve

Post by pineman » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:46 pm

Anybody have advice on a revalve for the 950 SE to make it more plush. It doesen't handle the wash board very well and the potholes are harsh.

Mostly Idaho two track so it can get rocky, have soft bags on and do the one or two night stays at high mountain lakes so travel fairly light. I'm 190 without riding gear.

This is what I just found in the shock.

Comp
(2) 40X.20
30X.10
(2) 40X.25
38X.20
28X.25
26X.25
22X.30

Reb
(2) 32X.25
24X.10
(2) 30X.25
20X.30

Thanks

Wilso

Re: 950 shock revalve

Post by Wilso » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:52 pm

Well if it was me I would give Jeff at slavens racing a call and buy and fit whatever he recommends, certainly worked for me in the past. He is a man who knows his stuff.

http://slavensracing.com/about/

Other than that, sorry can't help suspension is a dark art I've not mastered.

pineman

Post by pineman » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:55 pm

Hey thanks for the reply I have done a lot of business with Jeff and do value his option but at this point he has not replied to my request.
Yes the dark art indeed but would really like some impute before I just start experiencing.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:12 pm

Ah that's a shame and unusual. Let me rack my brains see if I can think of anyone, hopefully someone else here can chip in.

Can you give more detail on what you're experiencing? Are you talking more the front end? Had a slight issue on the front with sticktion my fault I did the front up too tight and misplaced the forks, might be worth checking it is all in alignment and running ok, mines stock and have done a couple of rally's, Morocco fully laden and mixed off road with no problems. Just a thought.

Sent using something I'm not sure about..

Power Slider

Post by Power Slider » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:38 am

I did a lot of riding this winter in the California desert and my riding is better then 90% off-road. I sent my front and rear suspension components to Super Plush for revalving and requested a recommendation for spring rates. They revalved both ends and recommended increasing fork spring rate. They felt the shock rate (stock) was in no need of change. I was pleased with the increased fork rate, but the bike still did not feel balanced and proper. I've done a good bit of off-road racing, to include the Baja 1000 and WORCS series, and believe I have a very good feel for a balanced (from front to rear) bike.

The SEs are an enigma for suspension tuners, because they (SEs) are so few, and many riders want a set-up that allows two-up and adventure bike weight carrying ability. As far as I'm concerned the SE is a rally race bike that was over-sprung at the factory to broaden the bikes usability/appeal to a larger rider base.

My bike felt twitchy and too busy (through the stroke) in the front, less so after the increase in fork spring rate, but still not proper. I asked a number of tuners about the stock shock spring rate's recommended rider weight. Clearly, many just didn't have actual experience on the bike or proper rider feedback. The bike is rated to carry a lot of weight (I think 420 lbs), and mine came with passenger pegs.

Finally, I went back to my knowledge of sag measurement basics. With the proper shock spring rate, you should be able to obtain standard free and race sag values in the same spring. I was unable to obtain such with the stock spring, and I'm 240 lbs, much larger than the average rider. From that I made the assumption the shock spring is rated for roughly that of the carrying capacity. From those values I did some math to calculate a rate that was more in my range. I talked to the boys at CannonRacecraft (spring makers and good old boys). They, like others, said they just don't get experience with SEs, and offered to send me the rate of my choice to give me the opportunity to try obtaining standard sag values. Stock rate is I think a 14.2 (can't remember the label, I think kg/mm, not sure though), and I went to a 10.6, a 25% reduction in rate.

I've been able to obtain standard sag values with the 10.6, and by values it's just on the firm side. I may even go to a 9.2 -9.6 rate.

I've been riding the 10.6 for a year now. It's cured the problems/complaints I had. I don't want an adventure bike weight carrying ability, already have an RV. I wanted a rally race bike, and the new shock rate put it there. The rear of the bike settles under hard throttle and looks for traction instead of instantly kicking out. And the front is not so burdened and busy. With the stock shock spring rate, the pivot point in the rear of the bike was the rear axle. With new spring rate change, the rear pivot point is now where it should be, the swing arm/frame interface.

If you're interested, I have some good articles on rate selection and locating proper sag values.

I just feel like a bike rides terrible all geared-up and/or two-up, properly suspended or not. I'd rather have proper set-up for rider only and very light gear then drive a dump truck.

My riding pleasure has grown like a woody :o

tomasn

Post by tomasn » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:50 am

When i asked Tractive about proper rear spring rate, they told me that stock rate 140 is ok for lonely rider and small amount of luggage and they can provide sprig with rate of 130. Its difficult to say about the difference, i ride 140 rate in 2015 october, but i think the difference should be very small. You need to make bigger step down or up for the real difference

Tapatalk

Wilso

Post by Wilso » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:06 pm

Nice post power slider, did you ravalve if so what to?

Power Slider

Post by Power Slider » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:56 am

Super Plush revalved both ends. I don't know what specific changes they made to the shim stacks. As best I could, I told them what direction I wanted to move from stock feel. My SE is my first go at a big bike. I've always ridden off-road bikes: 300, 450, and 500. When trying to find the right set-up for my SE, for some reason, I veered from what I've always known and done with off-road bike set-up...firstly, always start with obtaining proper rear sag values to obtain proper bike stance/balance front to rear (then fork springs rate if front end stance height needs adjustment). And then go to the valving for through-the-stroke properties.

A most critical note about where to start when suspension set-up tuning, often innocently overlooked by suspension gurus giving out casual advice, is to establish proper rear sag values (free and race) first. It's those values that determine proper shock spring rate. The proper shock spring rate will allow one to obtain standard free and race sag values in the same spring. If those values can't be obtained in the same spring, one should increase/decrease spring rate and check values again.

Valving may be a dark art (at least to me), but measuring sag is a critical yet basic measurement. A bike with a shock spring that is much too stiff actually has less rear wheel travel (and the travel harsh), because the spring wont have enough preload and, thus, fully extend the shock shaft.

Since one spring rate wont accommodate large weight changes of a bike's load, I chose a rate proper for performance/rider only (and a little gear). I can still ride with heavy gear. I no longer give up performance, due to too stiff a shock spring, when I don't have heavy gear.

My well intentioned thoughts probably don't apply well to setting-up a bike for two-up and for heavy loads. In those cases, performance is SHITE anyways.

Now, go grab a handful of SE throttle...after checking your sag :lol: