Facet fuel pump

Need Help or got top tips on maintaing the 950 Super Enduro share your knowledge here!

Moderators: bigkuri, Wilso, Alon

beddowsm

Facet fuel pump

Post by beddowsm » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:44 pm

Just bought a facet for my SE. anyone know where to locate it? It doesnt fit where the standard pump used to go. The best I can think of is above the oil tank but this means re routing my fuel lines (not a big deal). And attaching the pump to the frame using clamps. Just doesnt seem an ideal position to me.

So anyone any ideas? Thanks

Wilso

Re: Facet fuel pump

Post by Wilso » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:00 pm

Tuck it up behind the tank and rad, see how they have done it here,

http://www.dualsportwarehouse.com/CJ-DE ... -SE-PL.htm

not sure im a fan but could work out. maybe attach it to the fron of the airbox, so long as the location doesnt create 'carb icing'

Hope your well mate Jez.

beddowsm

Post by beddowsm » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:16 pm

thanks, its just I need to find a way to attach it between the tank and radiator. I was hoping to reuse the original fuel pump rubber but theres no way to stretch it over the facet (I have done previously with Africa Twin pumps).

Ill have another play at the weekend, if not Ill just stick it above the oil tank and secure it to the frame. It will be out of the way there, just doesn't look good....would prefer it hidden (eg where the original goes!)

Yes mate, alls well. SE let me down on a Euro trip....well never made Europe. Turned out to be a loose wire! So simple in the end!

SE Rob

Post by SE Rob » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:16 pm

beddowsm wrote:Just bought a facet for my SE. anyone know where to locate it? It doesnt fit where the standard pump used to go. The best I can think of is above the oil tank but this means re routing my fuel lines (not a big deal). And attaching the pump to the frame using clamps. Just doesnt seem an ideal position to me.

So anyone any ideas? Thanks
It does fit where the OEM is mounted.
Some muppet put one on mine in that position, I can't wait to get the POS off and put a Dr Bean modded original back on.

IIRC it is mounted via plate to the tank, the inlet comes up the front c/w filter, then original outlet pipe is connected to outlet .

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:17 pm

Not a fan of the facet then rob?

Mike what wire was it so I can look on mine. Always good to know these things.

Sent using something I'm not sure about..

beddowsm

Post by beddowsm » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:25 am

admin wrote: Mike what wire was it so I can look on mine. Always good to know these things.

Follow the ignition wire back to the first connection block. One of these wires was loose...and eventually snapped.

when it was loose it wouldn't let the bike rev past 3000. Really odd behavior. Hit 3000 and it would bang and cough and then die. None of the symptoms pointed to a loose wire. Only reason I found it was because the electrics died completely...hence finding the snapped wire.

Back to facet. I had no way of fitting to the original position, couldn't get the original rubber mount round the facet. Have mounted it above the oil tank. Just need to wire it all up and sort my fuel pipes out. Then test.

SE Rob

Post by SE Rob » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:45 am

admin wrote:Not a fan of the facet then rob?
Definitely not - because when they fail there is no warning and no easy work around.

The much maligned (and under maintained) OEM gives plenty of warnings as it begins to fail and with a full tank fuel gets to the carbs.

When the Facet goes, if you don't have an uninstalled spare, you are knackered.

Mike, the Facet on mine is mounted on a bracket attached to the OEM tank threaded inserts but it is not the OEM bracket or rubber mount. It is actually a very neat install.

SE Rob

Post by SE Rob » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:47 am

beddowsm wrote:
admin wrote: Mike what wire was it so I can look on mine. Always good to know these things.

Back to facet. I had no way of fitting to the original position, couldn't get the original rubber mount round the facet. Have mounted it above the oil tank. Just need to wire it all up and sort my fuel pipes out. Then test.
Mike, an alternative and possibly less exposed position I've seen used on two SEs for the Facet is directly behind the airbox on an alloy plate.

beddowsm

Post by beddowsm » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:50 am

SE Rob wrote:

cant you just bypass the fuel pump and let gravity work? Only reason I say it is this is what we did when we thought the issue was my fuel pump. You'd have to keep the tank topped up but it would help get somewhere in an emergency.

Cant say where Ive mounted my facet is a neat fix.....would much prefer to have it in the original location.

SE Rob

Post by SE Rob » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:24 am

beddowsm wrote:
SE Rob wrote:

cant you just bypass the fuel pump and let gravity work? Only reason I say it is this is what we did when we thought the issue was my fuel pump. You'd have to keep the tank topped up but it would help get somewhere in an emergency.

Cant say where Ive mounted my facet is a neat fix.....would much prefer to have it in the original location.
A bypass may work - I don't know.?