Static and Rider Sag Settings

Need Help or got top tips on maintaing the 950 Super Enduro share your knowledge here!

Moderators: bigkuri, Wilso, Alon

WornSprocket

Static and Rider Sag Settings

Post by WornSprocket » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:40 pm

Hi,

Does anybody by any chance have suggested sag settings for setting up the rear shock?

I'm happy with the method having done it many times on EXC's and similar bikes, but I've just got my SE and the manual doesn't give any suggested sag values, just compression and rebound rates.

Any advice on static and rider sag gratefully received. (Please include where you are measuring, conventionally somewhere near the back of the swing arm to a piece of convenient bodywork directly above.)

Cheers.

tomasn

Re: Static and Rider Sag Settings

Post by tomasn » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:52 pm

I think with oem shock there is no chance to set static/race sag as you do with mx bike 10/33 percent. This bike is big and has ability to carry passenger and some luggage. I'm riding with few mm insted of 8 mm preload on a one step lower rate spring

Tapatalk

Power Slider

Post by Power Slider » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:40 am

Hey, WornSprocket.

I did a good bit of consideration and research about SE sag. I posted a few thoughts about rear suspension on the SE. If you're interested, you should be able to find them on the site under my member name.

Checking sag on an SE is identical to an off-road bike. Just locate 2 points of reference as you suggested. The amount of sag is a bit more debatable for some. As for me, one should decide if he wants the bike to perform properly with rider only, two-up, or rider with tons of gear, because one spring will not perform properly over great weight carrying changes. I personally set my bike up for rider only performance, rally race type stuff. I just feel any performance and charging hard is gone with a passenger or lots of gear.

I went with sag value being 30% of total travel (in your manual), typical % used on off-road bikes (I mean dirt bikes), like your EXC. I've heard of people leaning toward 25%. Not sure why 25%. Probably to cover carrying a little more weight then rider only.

I'm 240 lbs and went to a much lighter rate spring in order to get proper 30% sag. The stock spring is rated to carry a rider and a very large woman. It seems sensible to set up the rear suspension for the riding you will do most (rider only or with gear or with passenger). When you check your sag keep that in mind. You may need to find a large woman to sit on the bike with you when measuring the sag.

Hope my thoughts give you some direction. I have a couple articles about sag values that are instructive. You could PM, and maybe I could email them to you.

Power Slider

Post by Power Slider » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:47 am

Tomasn is perfectly correct in his % values for static and race sag, 10 and 33%, respectively. I misstated race sag as "30%" of overall travel. My mistake: 1/3 of travel is 33%...

Sorry for any confusion

WornSprocket

Post by WornSprocket » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:45 am

Hi Power Slider,

Thanks for your input.

The manual gives total wheel travel for the front as 250mm (9.8") and for the rear as 255mm (10.0"). I didn't notice the manual even gave those figures until I looked - gotta love KTM!

Based on that and your suggested percentages I am assuming you set up the rear for 10% static sag (25mm) and 33% racing (or rider) sag, so 84mm. Are those the figures you aimed for? (Measured axle bolt to body work directly above?) If so, I might need a lighter spring as the majority of my riding will be one-up.

Given the wheel travel is very similar at the front within a few millimetres did you use the same numbers for the front end?

tomasn

Post by tomasn » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:58 am

With standard spring you can't reach these numbers, even with zero preload i think.

Tapatalk

Power Slider

Post by Power Slider » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:09 am

Hey WornSprocket.

Sorry for delay in reply. Those are the values I used. I had to go to a much lower rear spring rate (don't remember the rate. I could dig it up, if that would be helpful) to obtain both values in the same spring (which determines proper spring rate for a given situation; i.e, one-up, two-up, etc).

I went with heavier springs in the forks based on feel more than anything. I felt the bike was too low up front.

Did you get a chance to read my posts regarding my experience/thoughts about SE rear suspension? Try to find them, if you haven't already.

Did some hard rally raid that was on the rough side this weekend. And I would've crashed with the stock set-up!

WornSprocket

Post by WornSprocket » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:10 am

Hi Power Slider,

Yes, if I could trouble you to let me know what spring rate you fitted to the shock that would be great, and associated with that how heavy you are and what kit you carry (so I know spring rate vs rider weight & load.)

I weigh about 195lbs in my kit, if I'm trail riding then it's a bit more with the extra spares/water/food I carry in a backpack. The bike will get used two-up very occasionally and I may fit a pannier rack in due course so ideally I would get a spring that works for a rider at about 210lbs, but one that could also have the preload adjusted to cater for more load, if such a spring exists. If not then I'll just shoot for whichever spring rate works best for one-up with a pack.

Regards, WS