let's talk tires?!

Need Help or got top tips on maintaing the 950 Super Enduro share your knowledge here!

Moderators: bigkuri, Wilso, Alon

Power Slider

let's talk tires?!

Post by Power Slider » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:31 am

Such a versatile machine that one tire may not work best for all conditions: dirt, road, touring.

I've set my machine up for rally raid that is a bit on the rougher side to single track.

After objectively testing a variety of off-road tires in conditions from sand to mostly hard terrain with buried/exposed rock (brutally demanding on tires), the Michelin Desert Race front is unrivaled in performance and durability. For the rear, either the GoldenTyre GT723 or the rear Desert Race.

I've been running the GT723 on a 3.5" wheel, which makes for a great profile. I do have trouble with tire slippage at lower pressures: below 16 psi.

The rear Desert Race, being a smaller 140/80, has a good profile on the stock 2.5" wheel. And I run dual rim locks with that set-up, no slippage.

Much to my disappointment, the GoldenTyre 216 90/90-21 got trashed (chunked and side knobs tore off) on same route I took front Desert Race on. I really wanted to like the GoldenTyre front. I have not tested the new 723 front.

Desert Race front rubber chemistry and construction quality is in a league all its own. Truly a premier, top shelf tire!

Desert Race front weighed 9.4 lbs, GoldenTyre 216 90/100 weighed 10.3 lbs, GoldenTyre 90/100 DST 11.4 lbs, and Dunlop MX51 (moto tire) 80/100 8.5 lbs.

I'm fortunate to live in western USA's BIG COUNTRY! Everything from desert to mountain single track. Grab your SE and come check it out. I'd be happy to host!

Wilso

Re: let's talk tires?!

Post by Wilso » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:01 pm

Now I love a good tyre conversation! So for touring / hardback I go for deserts front and rear, a lot of people don't seem to like the front but once it's got a few k on it it comes into its own. But have found them bloody lethal on wet Tarmac so need a major adjustment in riding.

Problem here in good old Blighty we have a real mix of terrain from chalk to clay to shale hard pack and sand, you can get the lot in one ride. In the summer deserts are fine in the winter you just don't go anywhere, they become slicks...

So I favour the maxxis road legal enduro tyre, maxcross it or en. To be fair I've done a fair few road miles on them as well as don't have spare wheels. Good knobblies, last amazingly well given the power but are so cheap in comparison to the others I don't really care.

Heard lots of mixed reports on GT but for the money they are not cheap enough to take a punt and for the money would rather have a set of deserts.

Oh and I run my tyres skinny...

Power Slider

Post by Power Slider » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:18 am

Thanks for your input, Wilso! Great info. If there is one condition that is scary on an SE, it's wet, greasy ground. Like you say, riding in wet conditions requires an adjustment, no matter what the tire.

What do you mean by you run your tires "skinny"? Narrow rims? And why?

Wilso

Post by Wilso » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:22 am

Im running totally standard rims, what i mean is I dont try and fit wide tyres like alot of people seem to do. Probably as I like the way they Cut into the mud and track over a wide tyre that seems to float. So I have the same Maxxcross tyres on the SE as I have on the EXC.