Milky oil screen.... :( advise ? Help ?

Need Help or got top tips on maintaing the 950 Super Enduro share your knowledge here!

Moderators: bigkuri, Wilso, Alon

MultiDoc

Milky oil screen.... :( advise ? Help ?

Post by MultiDoc » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:11 pm

Hi gents,

Just got back last night after a very much needed weekend at Sweet Lamb. Was great being back on the bike after 3 damn months, some of you know the details.

Anyway, returned last night, everything fine etc no problems whatsoever but this morning when I got ready to ride to work I noticed milky stuff on the oil screen... :oops:

From what I read after searching tonight online, it seems that the water pump seal failed (any other ideas before I go ahead ?)
The bike otherwise runs fine, no problems, no weird sounds or anything, I did indeed noticed the coolant level on the cooler tank has dropped, but other than that everything looks alright.

I don't want to sound like I'm bitching, but I could do with no luck lately instead of bad luck...

Please share your wisdom or any tips or advise. I'm getting a water pump repair kit, oil service stuff (filter, screen and oil), and since I'm in this I'll also do the plugs, valves coolant and pretty much a big service to have peace of mind.

:twisted:
KTM 950 SE
Ducati 999rsr

Wilso

Re: Milky oil screen.... :( advise ? Help ?

Post by Wilso » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:02 am

Ah Man that run of luck is not on your side!

Almost certain to be the waterpump seal but before you strip did you go through much big water at SweetLamb? Could it just be condensation from water getting in or hot engine to cold water? Just vapor?

If the level is just a little bit down not sure that would indicate the seal gone.

Garage and tools here if you need it, SW london.

tomasn

Post by tomasn » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:18 pm

Lay bike on right side and check paper oil filter. If it will be warped, be shure its water pump seal leakage. Anyway original shaft/seal last for about 30.000 km. Usually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MultiDoc

Post by MultiDoc » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did pass a couple of water crossings that were quite deep but nothing too much I'd think.
I went ahead and ordered the parts for the water pump job and also an oil filter service kit and some oil too. Guess since I'll be doing the pump I'll need to change the oil and better do it properly for peace of mind .
I expect to have the parts by next week, by the way bike just crossed the 20k miles last weekend.

Will keep you posted.
KTM 950 SE
Ducati 999rsr