getting the bike off the ground ......

Need Help or got top tips on maintaing the 950 Super Enduro share your knowledge here!

Moderators: bigkuri, Wilso, Alon

shipdamite

Re: getting the bike off the ground ......

Post by shipdamite » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:37 pm

Power Slider wrote:https://greatfalls.craigslist.org/for/5907878372.html

maybe something like this
Thank you for that.

After my last posting, I went on e.b.a.y and found this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-ja ... 3641.l6368

I am thinking that I could pick up on the centre stand mounting points (after putting on another [side stand relocator] bolt and bush on the brake side)

WornSprocket

Post by WornSprocket » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:00 am

I hope you don't mind my asking, what's the problem with fitting a centre stand?

It would seem to be the ideal fix for what you need.

shipdamite

Post by shipdamite » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:59 pm

WornSprocket wrote:I hope you don't mind my asking, what's the problem with fitting a centre stand?

It would seem to be the ideal fix for what you need.
Hello W.S,

I agree totally - a centre stand would do the job (perhaps maybe a bit of a grunt with 17 inch wheels on?), although I would rather have a workshop stand to do the job .... the only reason I can think of for not having one (and it is completely irrational and somewhat stupid) is that I have never had a bike with a centre stand, ever, and starting now - on this bike - doesnt seem quite right. I know, totally stupid of me.

You can remind me of this when I ask to pop over and photograph yours for a point of reference!

ATB

Shipdamite.

Power Slider

Post by Power Slider » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:14 pm

Not stupid at all, shipdamite!

Such a versatile bike that it may depend on the bikes usage. As for me, my bike is off road 95+% of the time. I can't imagine having a center stand to contend with in rough terrain. I'd run my bike without a kickstand before putting a center stand on it. In my case, it would seriously jeopardize the cool factor!

I do foresee an application for it. If you're running street wheels, my guess is you don't see much dirt. It might be useful in that case.

It's something all of us owners must grapple with, because we get to ride such a versatile bike.

One thing is for sure, I wouldn't run a center stand just to make shop work easier.

I've seen a lot of set-ups I would NOT run and thought to myself, that's cool!

WornSprocket

Post by WornSprocket » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:22 pm

Hello Shipdamite,

Yes, you would be welcome anytime to come over and examine the centre stand on my bike. You have my phone number and the tea urn will be brewing.

As a suggestion though, the centre stand is held on by two bolts. You can fit and remove it in literally two or three minutes. You could buy the centre stand (admittedly you would also need the bushes and bolts) and then simpy bolt it on when you need it - take if off when you don't.

And probably cheaper than buying a hydraulic lift or similar (un-necessary) device.

Just a thought...

Power Slider

Post by Power Slider » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:38 pm

Great idea.

Its easy install/uninstall makes it appealing. I didn't realize it was such an easy item to work with.

Wilso

Post by Wilso » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:06 pm

That's a really great idea however only gets the rear wheel off the ground.

KTM twins used to do a centre stand.

Not sure that part number is right, you want the 950 Adventure S stand (S was a taller bike), this one 6000302200030 is coming up as a 990 Road centre stand, same height though, does anyone know if the fitting is the same @ the frame?. Last time I checked there are no Adventure S centre stands left and not heard of anyone putting a 990 one on.

shipdamite

Post by shipdamite » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:32 pm

WornSprocket wrote:Hello Shipdamite,

Yes, you would be welcome anytime to come over and examine the centre stand on my bike. You have my phone number and the tea urn will be brewing.

As a suggestion though, the centre stand is held on by two bolts. You can fit and remove it in literally two or three minutes. You could buy the centre stand (admittedly you would also need the bushes and bolts) and then simpy bolt it on when you need it - take if off when you don't.

And probably cheaper than buying a hydraulic lift or similar (un-necessary) device.

Just a thought...

And a good one ..... more specially as I have the bush and bolt from the s.s.r from Charlie, and have just asked him to send me out another one for the brake side (which I was going to use for the 2 'jacking points' for the lift I linkyed on the earlier post .....)

Thank you for the offer of tea.

shipdamite

Post by shipdamite » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:34 pm

Wilso wrote:That's a really great idea however only gets the rear wheel off the ground.

KTM twins used to do a centre stand.

Not sure that part number is right, you want the 950 Adventure S stand (S was a taller bike), this one 6000302200030 is coming up as a 990 Road centre stand, same height though, does anyone know if the fitting is the same @ the frame?. Last time I checked there are no Adventure S centre stands left and not heard of anyone putting a 990 one on.
I seem to remember that W.S said that the stand was from a 2004 ADV, and that Gear 4 had them in stock ........

shipdamite

Post by shipdamite » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:43 pm

Hello All,

parts fiche from Jim Aim.

http://shop.jimaimracing.co.uk/acatalog ... 03-05.html

in addition to bush mentioned in my last post, 'no. 29' bush is required also (and springs etc for a permanent install).

BUT

The stand itself is £215.88 ! :shock:

Hydraulic workshop stand is £50.