Engine cutting out/Fuel starvation ?

Need Help or got top tips on maintaing the 950 Super Enduro share your knowledge here!

Moderators: bigkuri, Wilso, Alon

426john

Engine cutting out/Fuel starvation ?

Post by 426john » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:10 am

Hello Folks

My 950 SE has 30,000kms and has been running very strong & reliable.

Twice the engine has died on me while driving,i loose power,the engine wont rev and it cuts out !!

The first time the battery was changed as it was suspect,but the fault returned.

The second time was very much like fuel starvation !!

Its this the classic fuel pump points problem ?

Can i just replace the points and keep it OEM untill a time when i can change over to the Mr Bean kit.

Please advise.

Kind regards
KTM 950R Superenduro

Yamaha WR 426F

tomasn

Re: Engine cutting out/Fuel starvation ?

Post by tomasn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:34 am

First think about situations, when the engine shut off and check side stand switch if you still have it.
https://youtu.be/f6BxEI_Hr7Y

426john

Post by 426john » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:41 am

Thanks Tomasn

The bike has run fine the last few days.
But the first time it cut out, i did try to re-start the engine with the bike on the side stand,it would not run properly so im sure its not the side stand switch causing the problem.

I have ordered the replacement points from wemoto and hope to repair the fuel pump.

Thanks for the help.
KTM 950R Superenduro

Yamaha WR 426F

tomasn

Post by tomasn » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:01 am

On side stand and with gear in? Off course, it may be fuel pump. But second reason i think is side stand. I'm not talking about faulty side stand switch, i'm talking about touching little bit side stand with your boot, when you are riding and activating switch for a while. It's mainly happens, when you are braking and moving your body back.

Wilso

Post by Wilso » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:36 am

Also worth checking jets esp pilot jet not blocked and floats, also if happening when hot could be time to check valves.

Read somewhere that this was also put down to the petcock valves at the tank being gunked up.

Keep us posted on what fixes it please.

426john

Post by 426john » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:42 pm

Thanks for your input Wilso.

The cutting out ,seamed to cure itself !!! I put it down to fuel pump points ,and have ordered a new set of points to rebuld the fuel pump.The bike is year 2008 and now has 30,000kms, so its probably about time.

This all happened around the time the clutch slave cylinder started leaking, plus around the same time i became aware that the coolent expansion bottle needed topping up a small amount weekly.

So lets fast Fwd to fitting the new Oberon slave cylinder.

Im happy with the clutch ,back on the road,and life is sweet............

Three days later upon starting the bike , and riding off, their is an engine rattle :shock: , metalic tap tap tap ............

Now im pulling my hair out.I check the engine oil and coolent.The oil is mucky and the coolent low.

But the new engine noise goes away ( its like cam chain tensioner rattle )

I drive the bike a very short distance home,and drop the oil and oil filter out.The oil fillter has nearly collapsed, it was a new KTM part less than 5000Kms ago.And yes the oil is really mucky, not white, not emulsify,but not right.

I changed the oil & filter, cleaned & checked the screens and dropped the coolent out.The new oil has circulated round the engine and i wont use the bike untill the repair parts arrive.

Ive gone over the Regular KTM forums and 950 sites and have deduced the water pump was leaking through the shaft seal into the engine, this compromised the viscosity of the engine oil and ruined the oil filter.

What i could hear was a cam chain tensioner rattle from poor oil quality and low pressure.

Wow !!! i love my bike but 950 Superenduro ownership is not easy or cheap.

No problem, im on it :D

Thanks for the group support & help.
KTM 950R Superenduro

Yamaha WR 426F

426john

Post by 426john » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:48 am

Fuel starvation Problem: Okay so i changed the contact points in the fuel pump.
I used the easy option,and ordered the after-market parts direct from wemoto.com
The parts arrived, Tour max 749945 fuel pump point switch,made in Japan.

The installation was relatively easy,only the first time i assembled the fuel pump, i never had the points fully located in the push rod !!
The pump energized and pushed the rod up,only the points never switched as they were not located properly in the push rod.

Second time round i got the whole thing situated and it now works like a dream.

Now its time to change the water pump seal and shaft.
KTM 950R Superenduro

Yamaha WR 426F

426john

Post by 426john » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:48 am

Fuel starvation Problem: Okay so i changed the contact points in the fuel pump.
I used the easy option,and ordered the after-market parts direct from wemoto.com
The parts arrived, Tour max 749945 fuel pump point switch,made in Japan.

The installation was relatively easy,only the first time i assembled the fuel pump, i never had the points fully located in the push rod !!
The pump energized and pushed the rod up,only the points never switched as they were not located properly in the push rod.

Second time round i got the whole thing situated and it now works like a dream.

Now its time to change the water pump seal and shaft.
KTM 950R Superenduro

Yamaha WR 426F

Wilso

Post by Wilso » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:27 pm

Good stuff! Would appreciate a detailed write up on the water shaft replacement. Might need to sort mine soon..