Engine oil for SE

Need Help or got top tips on maintaing the 950 Super Enduro share your knowledge here!

Moderators: bigkuri, Wilso, Alon

Leeexc+SE

Engine oil for SE

Post by Leeexc+SE » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:30 pm

It says in the owners manual to use Motorex Power Synt 4T 10W/40 or 5w/40. I can see it on e bay but do not fancy waiting for the post this time of year. Can not get it locally but there is another motorex oil which says it is for KTM V twins, is that any good?

newsh

Re: Engine oil for SE

Post by newsh » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:51 pm

I think I use 10W/ 50? :?
Old enough to know better!

disco stu

Post by disco stu » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:31 am

The SE should get 10W50 according to the owners manual? (unless very cold weather)

If it is a fully synthetic 4 stroke oil from Motorex suitable for wet clutch and from the correct viscosity, you should be fine. The differences between those mutual oils are minimal.

Power Synth 4T has viscosities of 5W/40, 10W/50, 10W/. I use have used the 10W50 and currently have the 10W60.
Cross Power 4T has the exact same viscosity range: 5W40, 10W/50, 10W/60. I think the Power Cross is the least different from the Power Synth.

jonesy

Post by jonesy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:31 am

As long as it is fully synthetic 10w50 then you are fine. The brand doesn't matter a shite. Whatever is cheapest. Oil is oil.

SE Rob

Post by SE Rob » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:05 pm

jonesy wrote:As long as it is fully synthetic 10w50 then you are fine. The brand doesn't matter a shite. Whatever is cheapest. Oil is oil.
Sorry Gareth, I think you are wrong. OIl companies spend a fortune to develop oils that can stand the duty imposed on them in a modern engine.

The specification is what counts - not all fully syns are born equal. Make sure you have the correct spec; then compare cost.

(Bloody carpenters........ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

Wilso

Post by Wilso » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:19 pm

as said so long as it s the same rating then it should be fine, one Ktm centre I know only use outline, personally I only use mothers in Orange bikes :mrgreen:

Leeexc+SE

Post by Leeexc+SE » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:52 pm

jonesy wrote:As long as it is fully synthetic 10w50 then you are fine. The brand doesn't matter a shite. Whatever is cheapest. Oil is oil.
You might well be right but if the engine goes bang then you are going to wonder if it was to do with the oil. I hate having to pay extra for motorex because of some deal ktm and motorex have done (wonder what it cost motorex?) but £50 is a small price to pay for the correct oil because it will be in my engine for a while not like a 4 stroke mx bike that deeds an oil change every event.

I managed to get the power synt stuff it says in the owners manual.

jonesy

Post by jonesy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:28 am

SE Rob wrote:
Sorry Gareth, I think you are wrong. OIl companies spend a fortune to develop oils that can stand the duty imposed on them in a modern engine.

The specification is what counts - not all fully syns are born equal. Make sure you have the correct spec; then compare cost.

(Bloody carpenters........ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )
Methinks you misunderstood or I wasn't clear enough in what I was saying - the spec is important not the brand, so go cheapest correct spec. Otherwise you is just buying the name

Now feck off you 'secret product dipping to enable it to be fully waterprooferer' person :D

SE Rob

Post by SE Rob » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:33 pm

[quote="jonesy]
Methinks you misunderstood or I wasn't clear enough in what I was saying - the spec is important not the brand, so go cheapest correct spec. Otherwise you is just buying the name

Now feck off you 'secret product dipping to enable it to be fully waterprooferer' person :D[/quote]

Glad we got that sorted !

I'm no longer repelling water - now doing something far hotter!

Flakey

Post by Flakey » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:29 pm

Just looked for Motorex power synt 4t 10 50 on eBay. I’m a bit confused, there’s a few on there and they seem to have a generic description, it says “mineral oil” I didn’t think fully synthetic were mineral oils. And also says for engines with separate gearbox oils ??
Basically my question is have they all used the wrong description or are there different Motorex power synt 4t 10 50 oils
Thanks Fintan