My SE journey (farkles!!) :)

Accessory questions if its luggage, power outlets, lights find a new bit of bling post here!

Moderators: bigkuri, Wilso, Alon

bigkuri

Re: My SE journey (farkles!!) :)

Post by bigkuri » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:25 pm

Cold hands - I always have cold hands, and so love heated grips on all my bikes.
On my Adventure I had Symtec heated elements which were great, but just never quite hot enough for me.

This time I am trying the new Datatool option. Made in the UK, and very clever!

Fitted the Datatool grips to try them out. Some observations....
  • The grips themselves are pretty chunky, much like the oxford ones. I've got huge hands, so no problem for me
  • The slide controller for temp settings is brilliant. Slide down = off, and 4 heat positions upwards.
  • There is a small LED on the throttle side that blinks once for low, twice, thrice, and rapid four blinks for high setting. Not sure if this is great, or I will cover with duct tape!... But it is very clever...
  • There is a delay when you start the bike for the controller to register the bike is running before the grips get power. So with engine off, even if the ignition is on, the grips will not drain the battery. Cool stuff.
  • They ONLY work with a direct connection to the battery, they do not work off either ACC1 or 2.
  • The wires and fittings are all top notch - wires very protected/strong
  • The top setting is nice and hot, even for my cold hands, much hotter than the Symtec ones
Edit - the blinky light is actually pretty useful. Plus my first thought that the left hand grip was colder was wrong - it is just a bit cooler for the first 5 mins.

Recommended :)

Also while at the handle bars were some decent protection needed; and I'm a great fan of Paul's "Highway Dirtbike" option from USA.
http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Sho ... handguards

They can be a tricky fit, them important thing is to really loose fit all the bolts, then slowly tighten and bend them to fit. Once in place they are rock solid, and provide a nice central mounting plate for Powerlet plugs and switches. I fitted a powerlet plug wired to ACC1 (always hot) and will use it for charging my mobile phone etc..

2008 SE 950 R - now gone :'(
1190R
XR650R

bigkuri

Post by bigkuri » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:36 pm

Last up for today (in terms of posting!) is the Safari tank upgrade.
I bought the 30l Safari tank with the bike, and after hooning around London the last few days with the stock tank, I managed to hit the fuel reserve light at only 65 miles!! :o :shock:

I'd planned to run the stock tank for a while, only putting on the Safari for a planned Morocco trip in November. But with that sort of mileage I need the super-tanker! :)

Plus I love the aggressive look the tank gives the bike :twisted:

It is just weird being at a fuel station and putting 30 litres into a bike! I will normally only fill it up 15 litres, but I had to try!
1190R
XR650R

bigkuri

Post by bigkuri » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:30 pm

Ah, one more post for the road... Writing these I keep on remembering additional stuff that I have done! :) 8-)

Fuel pump... One of the weak points of the 950 are fuel pump failures - usually the mechanical points that fire the thing.

I research a bunch on this, as there are 4 main options:
1. Wait for it to fail, and replace... ;)
2. A Faucet replacement pump
3. A vacuum pump
4. Dr Bean replacement points with a digital circuit

All have relative +/- points (har har, geddit?... ;) ) the Faucet needs new mounting position, and also fail, the vacuum pump keeps on pumping when switch off, meaning you need to turn off the taps, plus they are extremely sensitive to dirt, so I chose the Dr Bean option. The main reason is that the stock fuel pump is actually pretty reliable, it is usually just the points that fail.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... st15332776

Photo courtesy of Andy :)

1190R
XR650R

Beer

Post by Beer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:31 pm

Great thread Mate - interesting reading - has reminded me to order the dr bean kit for mine...which is now on order..

bigkuri

Post by bigkuri » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Well just don't get me to solder it... That's the reason I used Andy's photo above, as my attempt is a butchers.... Just waiting to fail when a wire drops off... :cry:
1190R
XR650R

bigkuri

Post by bigkuri » Wed May 01, 2013 2:41 pm

Have been looking forward to this mod, fitting my rallemoto steering damper. All the way from wee Australia, I rate these as one of the best :) It's a small, family run company, and their innovative design means it will colt straight on to a LC8 of any type, using the existing triple trees/yoke. What's more, if you drop the owner a line (Vaughan) he will sort you out for the conversion mount in order to fit many many other bikes. :D

http://www.rallemoto.com/contents/en-us/d51.html

My SE specific post finally arrived :)

Complete kit:

And where it is going to live

As a side note, the powerlet I mounted on the HDB guards, neat :)

Pluck out the blanking plugs if you have them

A top tip:
1. These holes will most likely have painted over threads, so take some time to cut them out to make life easier!
2. The bolts are "welded" with muck on the underside of the frame, so it is common that they break loose. If this happens just put a nylock underneath instead

The base plate of the post. The Adventure one does not have this as no tank getting in the way

The post itself fitted. Note, this is with a Safari tank, and it was tight! I had to loosen the tank off to get clearance...

The headstock mount in place, and luckily as I have the 20mm KTM risers I can fit in the wrench without moving things. Otherwise there is a bit more faff of unbolting the handlebars which needs a veeery long extension up under the headstock and into the nuts...

Fitted!
Last edited by bigkuri on Wed May 01, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1190R
XR650R

bigkuri

Post by bigkuri » Wed May 01, 2013 2:46 pm

While a nice sunny day, I undertook another wee top tip... Drilling some 3mm holes in the end, underside of the swingarm in order to release water. It is amazing & scary how much water "lives" in the swingarm otherwise, and it acts to rust and seize the chain adjustment bolts.

The chain-side hole

And the water it released (it has not rained in a while, the bike is under a cover for ages, and yet still this....

And the left side hole. It looks a little funny as that is a water-drop hanging

More peeing on the drive

A strangely satisfying mod.... :D
1190R
XR650R

bigkuri

Post by bigkuri » Thu May 23, 2013 9:51 pm

Right, a very small mod this time....

The rear brake pedal has two lobes that are bent up. They look harmless enough, but in any right-side crash the brake lever forces into the clutch cover, and these two little lobes cut into the cover. Just see how many Adventures/SMT/SM/SE have the tell-tale twin gouge out of their clutch covers.

Solution? (don't crash!) - grind down the two lobes. These pictures don't show much, but maybe you can see the difference. They do show off the nice rusty bolts though... :roll:

Before

After
1190R
XR650R

bigkuri

Post by bigkuri » Thu May 23, 2013 10:00 pm

This was a tricky mod, mainly as I hate electrics. But I hate the stock all-in-one switchgear of the SE more :)

I ride on the road and in town a reasonable amount, and finding the horn on the all-in-one switchgear is next to impossible, especially when a car is reversing into you.... Also offroad finding the kill switch is bloody hard! Not great when the bike is pinning you to the ground, leaking gas all over you...

So I bought a pair of KTM switchgear, from a Superduke I think. It does not really matter which bike they are from - a GSXR would be fine.

The starting point

Mapping out the wires

Testing (the blue end of the wire loom is the new controller)

Getting there

Finished left side

The right side
Note that I did not wire in the right side "light off/park/on" switch, I just wired the start and kill.

Finished right
1190R
XR650R

bigkuri

Post by bigkuri » Thu May 23, 2013 10:17 pm

More power.... I use a crappy GPS with a cigarette lighter for power. So I mounted one on the dash using ACC2

Had to bend the bracket out of the way...
1190R
XR650R