My SE journey (farkles!!) :)

Accessory questions if its luggage, power outlets, lights find a new bit of bling post here!

Moderators: bigkuri, Wilso, Alon

bigkuri

Re: My SE journey (farkles!!) :)

Post by bigkuri » Thu May 23, 2013 10:19 pm

Finished product so far :)

Now off to race the Prologue at the Erzberg 2013!! :twisted: (certain death I'm sure :roll: )
2008 SE 950 R - now gone :'(
1190R
XR650R

bigkuri

Post by bigkuri » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:46 pm

Note that the handlebar control wiring I showed a page back was incorrect. I finally figured it out at great mental strain!... :roll:
Decided to use the left light switch as intended, and also that the off position is off for all lights, i.e., even the high beam flasher does not work, but it does work when the running lights are on, which is the standard way I ride on road (no main light but park-light and rear light).
1190R
XR650R

bigkuri

Post by bigkuri » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:48 pm

1190R
XR650R

Beer

Post by Beer » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:15 am

Great Picture mate!!

newsh

Post by newsh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Beer wrote:Great Picture mate!!
Yep :)
Old enough to know better!

bigkuri

Post by bigkuri » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:48 am

1190R
XR650R

bigkuri

Post by bigkuri » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:14 pm

I've always hated the stock pegs both on my Adventure R and now my SE. Reasons being that for me, with huge feet, they are just too small, but I also found them pretty slippery in my Corssfires; the teeth of the pegs not being that sharp, together with the small base was a disaster for me.

I've looked at options for ages, namely being CJ Designs footpeg extensions, but I could never justify their price, which when you think of what they are is just outrageous, IMHO...

I've liked the concept of Pivot Pegz for years, and back home they are hugely popular. So I went ahead and took advantage of the 15% AMS discount for members of that other KTM forum, and ordered a pair of Pivot Pegz.

http://pivotpegz.net/

Fitted them yesterday, and have now ridden for 3-4 hours with them; road and some greenlanes.

Love'em

What a brilliant idea. When sitting you don't really notice them, except you find yourself idly wiggling your feet up and down. The have massive grip as the teeth are pretty sharp. The footprint is slightly larger, mainly a wider platform than OEM pegs. They are about the same length footprint, but I like this as hate long pegs as I find a long peg gets in your way when you dab a foot.

The real benefit is while standing, and it is a pretty weird feeling at first. Standing while riding on flat/easy terrain you are initially thinking "whoa, weird!", but after about 20 minutes this goes away, in particular when you hit some knarlier terrain. On the rough stuff they are just amazing, and after the initial weirdness has gone they are just awesome, working with your body and weight, making it so much easier getting the most out of your body position on the bike. Shifting gear is easier when standing, although on the same token using the back brake is a little harder. The benefits are huge though, you almost just have to try them to believe it.

The only negative I can see is that my left heal hits the side stand when putting my weight back over the bike, which is slightly annoying. It could just be my large feet, but I think this will be a common issue on any SE or Adventure. I may have a look sometime at modifying the sidestand position or something.

But that is a really small gripe on an otherwise pretty amazing upgrade. They make a huge difference, and will be something I put on all my off-road bikes from now on.
1190R
XR650R

bigkuri

Post by bigkuri » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:09 am

Cor, it has been a while...

I went through an itch of selling the SE, but could not decide what I would replace it with... That is a big question!

I ditched the pivot pegs. I still love them for offroad, but the issue is ON-road my heal hits the side stand all the time. Plus I found myself twiddling my feet up and down which kind of annoyed me like people biting their nails.. :? :D

I went a bit welding mad to replace them

1190R
XR650R

Beer

Post by Beer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:18 pm

bigkuri wrote:Cor, it has been a while....

mate, don't take this the wrong way :lol: but please don't spoil the bike and fit them :shock:

anyways more to the point we must organise another ride out in Kent now the weather has picked up...

bigkuri

Post by bigkuri » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:22 pm

Beer wrote: mate, don't take this the wrong way :lol: but please don't spoil the bike and fit them :shock:
You tart you ;)

Yes please re Kent, now that the last month is behind me I need a few beers! (dammit that just sounds wrong addressed to you... ;) ). I'm stuffed for two weeks, but after that? Let's see if we cannot get Jez out, John, et-al - a SE only day.... :D
1190R
XR650R